Sunday

The Artist is Always Working

     The thing about me that I sometimes can't stand is my overwhelming need to always be doing things. Like if I'm not working towards some sort of goal at almost all times, I'm wasting time. This is some sort of weird drive that I can't explain; I don't know what I'm striving for but I'm striving, alright. It's just like I've just got so many ideas and things I want to do, places I want to go and things I want to make. I feel if I sit idle for any amount of time, I'm wasting valuable doing time. I mean, this has its pros & its cons, but I often get too stressed out with this kind of lifestyle and think that if I could just slow down for a little while, I could sort the thoughts in my brain through a little better and be more productive, overall.

slow down, you move too fast
you've got to make the morning last

- simon & garfunkel / feelin' groovy (59th street bridge song)

     For the past few days I've been not as productive as far as art, or music, or reading or writing. I've been hanging out with friends and listening to music, looking at art all over the internet and photographs of all varieties. That weird drive is inside of me telling me "Dude, you haven't done anything productive in a few days. You're falling behind on your artistic pursuits here." Some people might be able to brush this aside but I'm also a person who is prone to feeling guilty often (ha). So these thoughts are naturally ones that I try to avoid. By doing things.
     But today I had an idea, in the car on a long drive (where I often have my best ideas). That maybe, art has two sides - an active and a passive side. I mean, think about it. Inspiration has to be refueled sometimes! And that's the passive part of it. Like the things I said earlier. Looking at pictures, listening to music, just kind of relaxing and... recharging? Haha.

     So maybe this is just me trying to tell the weird drive that it's ok to just chill sometimes, or maybe this is me trying to justify things. Orrrr maybe I'm on to something kind of cool? I don't know. Ha.

Here is some of the inspiration I've found the past few days.


  
 


aaand a movie i want to see. 
the dark shadows - out may 11th
i love tim burton :) & johnny depp.




No comments:

Post a Comment